AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EV Range anxiety?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/27/2024 23:08 (#10790131)
Subject: EV Range anxiety?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I keep hearing the term "Range Anxiety" in any discussion of battery EVs. In this June weather our 2023 Bolt EUV continues to amaze me. Here is a photo of the dash range indicator as we went into town this afternoon. Seems like that is more then enough range to get out and back for most people's daily driving.

We do own a gas SUV for some jobs but 80-90% of our annual miles are going to the Bolt. Yes, we do charge it at home from a simple 240v clothes dryer type outlet in our garage. I almost never use public charging stations with the way we use the Bolt.

The middle number is the expected range on the battery with the top and bottom numbers indicating a max and min depending on conditions, driving style etc. We almost always end the day with somewhere between the expected and max numbers. I always drive it in the "Regen" mode where when taking your foot off of the accelerator the motor turns into a generator and slows/stops the car without using the brakes much if at all, charging the battery rather than turning the car's energy into heat at the brake pads and rotors.

I love driving this 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV. I purchased this car as a very base model for about $28,000 (with no government rebates etc) in Oct 2022 from our excellent local Chevy dealer, 9 miles from the farm.

This is the best designed, both hardware and software, vehicle of its size class that I have ever owned or seen. As in all new car models, they got the bugs out of it over the first few years of production. The 2023 EUV models were ready to go and a "best buy" in its class on several of the car publications. So what does GM do? Cancel production after the 2023 model year.

This car at that price could beat most of the foreign competition that everyone seems concerned about. 

I am just angry that GM cancelled it. I don't buy the argument that they lost money on each one...no new vehicle turns a profit the first couple model years until tooling and engineering costs are paid,now was when the Bolt EUV could actually start to make some money on some higher volumes.

The Bolt was in production for 6 or 7 years, they got all of the bugs out of a new concept, now why not just make them and sell them rather than forcing people looking for this type of car to purchase an import? [I won't even discuss Tesla here]

Edited by Jim 6/28/2024 14:22

(Chevy Bolt EUV Range indicator full battery 062724 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chevy Bolt EUV Range indicator full battery 062724 (full).jpg (122KB - 54 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)