AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DJI drones may soon become totally banned in USA unless you do something NOW
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

madflower
Posted 6/20/2024 13:12 (#10781213 - in reply to #10780695)
Subject: RE: DJI drones may soon become totally banned in USA unless you do something NOW

It has been demonstrated since 2017, that they are in fact sending data back. And it appears as though their mainboard has dji specific chips on them.
It is more like, they just acted slow, which our government is designed to react slow because the kangaroo court of public opinion is usually wrong, and results in over reaction, and poor laws.

https://www.commercialuavnews.com/regulations/why-the-dji-ban-under-...

I haven't looked at them specifically to know what the difference is. The flight boards themselves usually aren't super-complicated. It is the software, which obviously the DJI software is backdoored. You are sharing your data with the CCP. The flight controllers themselves don't work much different then a tractor guided gps system. the main difference is the motors are bldc and they are controlled by electronic speed controllers, that take signals from the microcontroller.
Then control works like a rc toy. Except, it sends data back and the ground control station mimics the input from a handheld rc radio.

You might want to check out ardupilot or similar project.

The security concern is the big one, and the democrats might actually jump on board with it, because both parties are trying to stimulate business and US manufacturing. This creates jobs, but it also helps create cottage industries with old industrial machines, and 'factory seconds'/dumpster dives. Which is how china really got started. Coupled with the fact, US manufacturers IE corporate america mentality 'just wait for us to do it' instead of the DIY mentality that leads to small manufacturing from 'american ingenuity'

I just bought an oscilloscope from china, and while it isn't great, it was cheap, and from what I can tell so far, it actually does what it says, but I won't run the software that came with it. I don't trust it to not be backdoored. I bought some GPS modules for dirt cheap from aliexpress to set up a drone, and started getting calls from labeled as the chinese consolate so they might have been the 'for china only' modules that are backdoored.

This is a matek that is actually a pretty nice ST Electronics chip, The f7's are nice microcontrollers, but whether it works with your drone or not I do not know. They are powerful enough. but sometimes the commercial drones also have a second processor for digital video analysis similar to object recognition. ST is a european company and I am not quite sure, we should trust them either. but you can reflash them to 'bare metal'.

https://www.getfpv.com/matek-f722-flight-controller-for-dji-digital-...

Apparently, there is also some other proposed legislation that may ban all flight controllers and parts made in china, as well. which I believe includes Matek since they basically just steal peoples designs, and fab them. I guess it might be time to buy a pick and pluck machine, a wave soldering machine or oven and a circuit board printer.

Edited by madflower 6/20/2024 13:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)