AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Protein utilization
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 6/24/2024 20:46 (#10786369 - in reply to #10785194)
Subject: RE: what causes insulin resistance

Southwestern Minnesota
You certainly are not promoting wild guesses and do know the ins and outs of insulin resistance and the problems that result from that. You are not making that up.
My wild guess on why our forefathers used to eat and didn't get fat is related to portion sizes, physical activity and processed foods. I grew up in the era of "walking beans" and "picking rocks". We were up early, had breakfast, had a snack on the back of the pickup tailgate mid-morning, ate a reasonable meal at noon, snack again mid-afternoon and big meal at supper (meat, potatoes, vegetable, fruit, milk). Maybe ice cream as a bedtime snack. We did plenty of snacking. The snacks were usually homemade and we drank water. Even if we weren't active like we were in the summer, whenever the mail came at mid-morning it was time for a "little lunch". And we had another "little lunch" in the afternoon. We were busy and worked a lot outside. We also didn't eat processed foods. Mom had a big garden and we canned or froze fruits and vegetables. We had our own chickens and butchered them. We had chicken dinners and not chicken nuggets. We raised beef cattle and hogs- we had roast beef and pork chops in the freezer and didn't eat McDonalds hamburgers.
That whole "snack" thing between meals and at bedtime (especially for people with diabetes) got going due to the insulins and meds we had at the time to treat diabetes. There were peaks and lows and hypoglycemia is dangerous, so timing a snack with the peak of the insulin staved that off. Now with the newer meds that are available, that isn't near as much of a problem as it was at the time.
I think your conclusion to eat three distinct meals a day is right on- not eat so many foods that raise blood sugar (carbs) and especially not so many at one time. I'd add to get some exercise going every day and avoid processed foods.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)