AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EV Range anxiety?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 6/28/2024 08:08 (#10790420 - in reply to #10790131)
Subject: RE: EV Range anxiety?

East of Broken Bow
I can say a lot of people got range anxiety over EVs when a school district not too far from me got a couple EV School busses. They got some kind of grant to trade in ICE busses for EVs.
Problem was, they needed 6 busses to run the route that they previously used 4 busses for.
So, they had to hire 2 more drivers.
Wound up costing them more money than it saves to run the busses (this is just operating costs, purchase price wasn't considered).

After seeing that, many people say that 'proved' that EVs were worthless.

I disagreed, saying that it proves that you should not shove a one-size-fits-all solution to a problem that doesn't exist. For many, an EV makes perfect sense. For others, it makes no sense.

The irony of it is, if the busses were plug in hybrids, they could have driven half the route, (or maybe more) on electricity, and burn half the fuel, or they could have run on electricity while in town, and fuel on the open road, and still saw most of the benefits of an EV, but the law (or at least the subsidies for purchase) say all EV or nothing, so this largely rural school district got themselves painted into a corner with busses that don't fit their needs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)