AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Protein utilization
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 6/30/2024 15:39 (#10793452 - in reply to #10793043)
Subject: RE: anecdotes and science

Southwestern Minnesota
I agree 100%. I guess it's not the anecdote part that I have issues with, but rather the sensationalism that accompanies so many of them. Especially if they're trying to get hits on social media with sensational claims.

Several years ago we had a speaker at one of our state Dietetic meetings that was an RD (so one of us) speaking about her personal experience of not only managing her disease of MS but actually reversing it and functioning at a high level based on the changes she had made to her diet. She was met with a very skeptical audience, but after her presentation and a plethora of very pointed questions she had most of us convinced that she very likely had been able to do that with diet. It was very deliberate and science-based and that is much easier for me to buy into that one person's claim on YouTube.

I'm not opposed to anecdotes. And the idea of trying to turn the Titanic around (aka the saturated fat debate history) is more related to politics and special interest groups than the medical/nutritional community. It's a sad way that we determine our Dietary Guidelines with so many voices that are not in the science community involved. But that is what we got, so.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)