AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Island top in twitter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 1/11/2021 14:49 (#8742771 - in reply to #8742691)
Subject: RE: Island top in twitter

southern MN
I’ve never signed up for Facebook or twitter. I haven’t used a google app or set up an account/ email with them.

The little I saw of Facebook I find it cumbersome and awkward, I realize that is just me the rest of the world gets along fine with it.

I had started visiting Twitter and was enjoying some of the content I could find there easy to use without being signed up, but by then I was having misgivings about the direction most social media was going, and thought I would kind of prefer staying on the outside.

Google used to be good in the early days of internet but the past years I found they don’t give me results I was looking for, they push results onto me they want to feed to me. Nearly the entire first page is advertising for any search any more. I had resisted signing up for them as I realized they would just search my entire data set and just keep pushing stuff to me; not helping me.

Clearly not interested any more in any of that. Certainly all of these sites collect info and data without me having their app or an account with them, but it is slightly less I trusive when I’m not signed up.

The links WyDave put in the computer section on how hard these companies are fighting to keep themselves on your devices and computers with Apples mild curtailing of some open doors should be an eye opener. And aPple is its own big monopoly, they aren’t exactly champions of the common man.

Been trying real hard to type in DuckDuckGo when I want to look something up the past 2 days. That seems to be going ok for me. Have to see about setting my defaults to different search engine. It takes time.

Monopolies are never good.

Several years ago my auto insurance guy was putting on a seminar on safe driving. Of course part of it was a sales pitch, and he mentioned the data gathering gizmo that monitors how you drive and reduces your insurance 10% or more. A few people questioned that, and he was non committal about it, fair enough, at the end instead of answering many questions he said well, knowledge is power.

That really hit home with me. Computers have made it so easy to gather info and assemble it. Take nearly worthless bits of info and weave it into something powerful.

I have no interest in getting the insurance gizmo. Why would I want to give them that power.

Life is a long journey of compromise and choices.

I hope that continues.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)