AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will a roller crimper damage surface drip tape and mainlines?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

beanpole
Posted 5/4/2024 22:13 (#10728979 - in reply to #10726233)
Subject: RE: Will a roller crimper damage surface drip tape and mainlines?

Not really wanting to grow rye. We're just trying to keep the grass short enough to not be a nuisance when messing with the drip system. We have established beds and the drip tape manifold is on the surface while the tape is about 8 inches deep. The manifold is left in place until it needs to be replaced so it stays for a couple of years. The 5 feet next to the manifold doesn't get tilled because the tape is exposed there. With out tillage we get grass that will eventually take over and we can't use herbicide because we're organic. As far as a roller crimper goes, we don't currently have one. The reading I have done says that width of the roller doesn't matter as long as it has adequate weight per ft. I would probably try to build one rather than buy one. The crimper seemed like the cheapest way to handle the grass using a tractor instead of by hand. I have thought about a steamer but they're expensive and would also require propane. We're open to ideas if you have any suggestions. Roughly 7000 feet of exposed mainline total.

Edited by beanpole 5/4/2024 22:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)