AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Real world opinions on strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 5/3/2024 07:25 (#10726976 - in reply to #10726823)
Subject: RE: Real world opinions on strip till

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
Good subject Nutrient stratification we have been almost completely NT or at most 1 pass with a VT tool for 40 years
Have taken many 0-3" 0-8" 8-12" and 12" to 24" samples we do not have Stratification of Phosphate (which I think would the least mobile macro fertilizer) or anything we test for
Even more unexpected for me is Ph in our subsoils has went from 4.8 (where our subsoil soils are naturally ) to some readings of 6.5 to even 7.0 12-24" samples
I learned 50 years back couldn't change Ph with out turning the lime under :-)
Lime did not move "something moves"

We tried 30" banding of fertilizer in 2009 when we acquired our RTK setup think it was a good idea to tie up less fertilizer
Erosion and the time it takes to strip till reason we quit Matrix you being in Central Illinois possibly different results for you
IF you are planning on planting on the strips (what strip till is) just because the tractor is perfect sub inch RTK doesn't mean the implement pulls straight
Soil testing is a challenge (have "hot" areas and where the fertilizer was not applied)

Dan

It's raining "again" plenty of time this weekend to read NAT's thoughts on Strip till and nutrient stratification

Edited by Dan Loehr 5/3/2024 07:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)